Brisbane City Council wishes to advise of landscape work which includes new tree planting and subtropical understorey planting for Ipswich Road, Moorooka between Gaba Tepe Street and Durack Street. This section will be transformed over the coming weeks with plantings of ground covers, shrubs and trees.
NOW OPEN! Enter our Worm Colouring Competition for Moorooka Ward residents of all ages. Go into the draw to win a Worm Composting Farm complete with worms! There will also be 10 runner up sour worm confectionary prizes up for grabs!
Competition closes Wednesday 12 May 2021. Winner and runners up will be announced Friday 14 May 2021.
Winners must be a resident of the Moorooka Ward including the suburbs of Acacia Ridge, Archerfield, Coopers Plains, Moorooka, Nathan, Rocklea, Salisbury, Willawong and parts of Annerley, Durack, Oxley and Tarragindi.
COMPOST REBATE PROGRAM
Did you know composting and worm farming help reduce your household's food and green waste with the upside of being rewarded with valuable compost for your garden? Right now Brisbane City Council is offering eligible Brisbane residents the opportunity to claim a rebate of up to $70 off the purchase of eligible composting equipment.
Learn more about Council's Compost Rebate Program here. Don't forget to scroll down to view the Step by step guide to worm farming video to get you started.
GRACEVILLE - Sherwood-Indooroopilly RSL Sub Branch
7am Community March, assemble at corner Verney Road East and Appel Street
7:15am March down Verney Road East onto Oxley Road into Graceville Memorial Park
7:30am Morning Service at Graceville Memorial Park, 173 Oxley Road, Graceville
SALISBURY SERVICE - Salisbury RSL Sub Branch
5am Dawn Service at Memorial Park, Industries Road, Salisbury (please note no Gunfire Breakfast this year due to COVID)
8am Morning Service at Memorial Park, Industries Road, Salisbury
TARRAGINDI SERVICE - Yeronga Dutton Park RSL Sub Branch
6:30-7am Dawn Service at Ekibin Memorial Park, Cracknell Road, Tarragindi
YERONGA SERVICE - Stephens RSL Sub Branch
7:30am Morning Service at the Cenotaph in Yeronga Memorial Park, Ipswich Road, Yeronga
Please note there will be no service this year due to COVID at the Acacia Ridge War Memorial in Grenier Park, Acacia Ridge.
I'm pleased to announce that maintenance works to upgrade the Toohey Forest escarpment track are anticipated to start in early April 2021.
Following a review by the joint (State and Council) Speed limit Review Panel, the speed limit along Ipswich Rd between O’Keefe St, Woolloongabba and Cracknell Rd, Annerley will be permanently reduced from 60km/h to 50km/h. The new speed limit will be installed by end March 2021.
Reducing the speed limit along Ipswich Rd through Annerley was just one item on my ten point plan for road safety in Annerley. I am still pushing Council to action the other items in the plan.
10 Point Plan to Improve Road Safety for Ipswich Rd, Annerley
1. Undertake a feasibility study for a tunnel bypass under Ipswich Rd to reclaim surface streets for local traffic movements, better public transport, cycling and pedestrian infrastructure;
2. Reduce the speed limit through Annerley Junction shopping precinct to 40kms;
3. Install flashing school zone signage to protect JPSS children crossing the road;
4. Upgrade the intersection of Ipswich Rd, Venner Rd and Waterton St to include proper signalised turning lanes;
5. Install a green arrow or zebra crossing at the intersection of Ekibin Rd and Ipswich Rd;
6. Undertake a Village Precinct Project in Annerley Junction to improve amenity, safety and revitalise community spaces;
7. Build new footpath, lighting and cycling infrastructure to promote active travel;
8. Deliver better local bus services through Annerley;
9. Deliver the promised Venner Rd Freight Bypass to take trucks off Venner Rd;
10. Deliver traffic calming solutions in Annerley side streets to discourage rat running.
Council will undertake traffic improvement works on Ipswich Road at Longueval Street, Moorooka, commencing Monday 1 March 2021. Works are expected to take approximately four weeks; weather and site conditions permitting.
The following improvements will be undertaken:
• Extending the right turn lane from Ipswich Road into Longueval Street, to improve vehicles storage lengths
• Reconstructing the existing traffic median on Ipswich Road to accommodate the extended right turn lane
• Line marking
Works will be undertaken weekdays between 7am and 5pm, with the possibility of weekend work.
“This is great news for motorists who regularly travel through this stretch by reducing travel times, and improving safety for all road users,” Cr Griffiths said.
This project is funded by the Queensland Government through the Transport Infrastructure Development Scheme (TIDS) and Brisbane City Council.
Get involved this Clean Up Australia Day Sunday 7 March 2021 by registering your own site or joining an existing site in your neighbourhood.
It's a great opportunity to help clean up our local streets, parks and bushland.
Sites already registered within the Moorooka Ward:
Arnwood Street Park, Annerley
Arnwood Place - Sandy Creek, Tarragindi
Moorvale Makeover, Moorooka
Oxley Creek Common, Rocklea
Pegg's Park, Moorooka (Moorooka Greening Group)
Salisbury RSL Memorial Park, Salisbury
Salisbury South, Salisbury
Visit Clean Up Australia Day to find out more.